Sunday, August 14, 2011

Presenting: Marie-Louise. Ta-DAH!

There's a neat little pull-out shelf that Mr I was instrumental in re-installing

Yes, I named "her." It's hard not to when you spend so much time with a thing, being intimate, as it were.  At first, I referred to her as "Marie," for obvious reasons, then as time progressed, I found myself singing that old Charles Boyer hit "Every Little Breeze Seems To Whisper Louise," and so, there you have it.  Finally finished the little darling and I am posting the after shots along with a few "befores."  A 1960's era French Provincial gets a 21st Century make-over using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Wax, plus a few other materials (We won't get into the chains and garden tools.  You already know about the coffee and dirt).  All in all, I'd say I'm quite pleased with my first attempt at using chalk paint!  My eye has begun roving, searching the house for my next victim...


We started with this factory-finish "antique" white paint with heavy gilding, purchased at a local consignment shop, looking like it came out of any one of a thousand little girls' bedroom sets:
Gilding. Subtle like a sledge hammer.
The photo makes the piece seem whiter than it actually was.  The true color was a dingy cream



Now, a one of a kind hand-painted beauty

Thanks for viewing!

PS September 22, 2011:  For those who are interested, the ASCP paint colors are Emile and Old White on the drawers, Old White with a coat Versailles ragged over on the sides and shelf. I also used a tinted wax (Old White) on the drawers, and dark wax on the sides and shelf. ~M~

Linking with:


Furniture Feature Fridays

10 comments:

  1. Ooohh love the color you chose!!! It's beautiful! Would love for you to come share at Feathered Nest Friday at my blog sometime! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a transformation. Oh you give me hope that I can do this myself one day!!!! Really, WOW. I'm bookmarking so I can remember this!!

    I love transformations! I just turned my secretary into a bar area in my dining room. I really hope you'll stop by and check it out: http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2011/08/picture-is-worth.html

    See you soon, I hope!
    Artie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very VERY beautiful!! I don't usually like gilding, but this is just PERFECT for the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there- just stopping back by to say thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sophisticated!Thanks so much for sharing on Market Mon. Please come again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Love the look you created!

    If you have a moment, stop by my weekly Chalk Paint Link Party every Tuesday and Wednesday.

    www.ShadesofAmberInc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you be so kind as to share the name of the AS color? Please?
    From your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply Divine! Found you via Redoux. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/few-finished-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comments, everyone! I've enjoyed discovering your websites as well. Sorry for the delay in posting a response, but I've just now figured out how to make the blogger accept my id in order to post comments (use Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer! Works like a charm!). Slowly but surely, I will get the hang of this. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exquisite! I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete